It’s bound to happen at some point in your job search — you’ll get discouraged or frustrated. For example: You wonder how to get past the “electronic fortress” of online applications; It takes forever to receive a reply to a LinkedIn message you send; You interview but hear nothing afterwards; You’re uncertain that your resume presents you well. For such frustrating times, follow the suggestions below.
→ Be sure that you have a way to express your emotions directly (such as with a trusted friend, job-search networking group, career coach). Discouragement and frustration are natural in a job search, especially in challenging times. Having a sounding board avoids the “leaking” of negativity into your job-search communication.
→ Surround yourself with people who are positive and constructive. Reduce your exposure to bad economic news. Find and learn from others who have made job changes in similar situations.
→ Focus your search. Oddly enough, a targeted search is more effective than one that’s “open.” When you’re “open,” it’s easy to be perceived as unfocused, and it’s more difficult for others to know how to help.
→ Spend no more than 20% of your time on posted openings. Instead, invest the other 80% of your efforts uncovering the hidden job market through targeted research, individual meetings, and new connections.
→ Continue to learn in whatever ways suit you: reading, taking classes online or in person, participating in community and professional activities, etc.
→ Check into educational and community resources such as your college, university, or high school alumni or career offices; Missouri Career Centers; and church- and community-sponsored employment networks.
→ If you’re unemployed, present yourself in a positive way. Instead of saying “I’m unemployed,” say “I’m looking for a new opportunity. Here’s what I do and how I can contribute.” You’re more likely to enlist help this way.
→ Develop a back-up plan and time frame. Maybe you’ll temp, freelance, shift directions, or take on seasonal work until you make your longer-term move.
→ Get your spending in line with your income. Ideally, build reserves or an emergency fund in case a situation like this happens again.
→ Thank anyone who is helpful to you in any way. Appreciation and kindness go a long way and are in short supply. When you’ve landed your new job, let the people who were helpful to you know; then extend your help to others.
No one I know looks forward to a job search. However, with good support, solid information, and a way to handle discouragement as it occurs, a successful outcome is just a matter of time.
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Thanks for Referrals From:
Connie Knox, Michele Matzat Lord, Vicki Bernard, and Pat Bush.
Consider a CAP (Career Action Planning) Session if you:
> Feel stuck or stalled in your career
> Are worried about a layoff
> Wonder if it’s not just a new job but a new career you need
> Have been looking for work but not getting results.
In this 90-120-minute meeting, we can get to the root of your career problem and come up with a plan to solve it.
For more information call me at 314-752-1373 or use the comment form on my website.